How do I tackle table leg like this

8365.2 In reply to 8365.1 
Hi mantaskava, forms that transition between sharp and smooth in an organic type way tend to be a higher difficulty category to model in CAD.

I'd say in this case I'd probably work on it in sections since it's the foot that ups the difficulty. Start by ignoring the foot for now to make progress on the easier part. To do the main part without the foot, make a 2D profile curve using Draw curve > Freeform > Control points, something like this:

Once you have a closed 2D profile like that, you can solidify it by making a copy that's rotated 90 degrees (quickest way is to hold down the Ctrl key while dragging the rotation grip of the edit frame in the Top view), so you have 2 curves arranged like this:

Now select one of those, then run Construct > Boolean > Intersection, then select the other one and you'll get this result:

This is the equivalent of making 2 straight extrusions of both of those and then intersecting those extrusions and keeping only the volume that's inside both of them, boolean intersection can do that all in one step.

I'd recommend working on that part first to get the bulk of your form blocked out how you want it, then we can talk about what to do from there. It will probably be something like doing some fillets to round off the sharp edges a little bit then doing some custom surfacing for the foot and using a Construct > Blend to connect things together. Post your 3DM model file with the main leg how you want it to start with.

- Michael