Quick check-in about workflow, and V4.

8361.5 In reply to 8361.4 
Thanks Michael, AlexPolo and Eric!

Michael, I appreciate the incredibly detailed response, and agree that MoI has a special place that is separate from most Mech CAD software. I do not want to try to bend it into some poor-man's Solidworks, that would be doing MoI a disservice.

I do have to admit that I still don't agree that MoI has no place as a mechanical modeling tool - I think the ability to throw together very fast sketches in an intuitive manner and rapidly realize a design with a minimal interface clutter allows it to go much further than most other modelers into even relatively complex projects, it's ethos as a lightweight modeler can actually be a tremendous advantage in this area. When I watch someone struggling to do a rapid sketch to add a component in SolidWorks or Fusion 360 I find myself thinking back to why it is that I love MoI.

The real disadvantage of MoI comes when you want to modify a complex design down the road, and this is where I think a changes like allowing some kind of operations history/editor along with hierarchy would be tremendously useful!

Organizational features that are broad enough could allow for most of the things I am talking about, and more e.g. hierarchy could both allow you to have assembly groups and sub-groups, and also allow for you to link images to a particular part or group by dropping an image object under another object. You could allow any type of object to be a child, and leave it to users to come up with neat future uses for that.

The same goes for annotations, if you can have a "text" object that can be added as a child to any other object, and that has a name, it would be easy to add information like suppliers, web links, etc. Text objects could be allowed to feed the text tool, so for example, extruded text boolean-differenced out of a solid to create an engraved look could be modified later by modifying the original text object.

The same goes for instancing, and allowing outside links. Here, for example, you could allow a user to modify a linked image, in say Photoshop, and have the changes permute directly back into MoI without having to reload and re-orient the image reference.

I hope you don't take my suggestions as presumptuous or critical. MoI is very much your baby and you have done an amazing job with it. I love it as a lightweight CAD package and I really have never found anything more intuitive or enjoyable to work in. I agree with everyone else that the seamless MoI -> Rhino integration is great, and also that I just don't want to use anything else after using this combo.

-FDP