Soon a 3DM translator for Modo ?

832.8 In reply to 832.6 
if this importer was a "real" plugin that was able to support Nurbs objects in Modo and could utilize an adjustable render mesh, then it would be very good indeed. Or if it could run Modo (with updatable 3DM link) as a plug-in render engine for 3DM would be great too (especially for Rhino, as Moi does not have any render setup tools). But if it only offers basic importing of 3DM to Modo, then I only see it being useful for animating / rendering studios who don't own a license of Rhino or Moi, but whose clients might send them 3DM files. And honestly i don't see any design firms sharing their original 3DM's. Carrara 5 Pro was also able to import 3DM files directly, but i always found the mesh results were pretty crappy. And large file imports (typical for complex mechanical assemblies) would crash Carrara or take a very long time to import... Luxology should have built the 3DM importer themselves because 3DM is such a hugely recognized format. It should be standard in Modo...

Michael, at this moment i am happy with Moi's mesher for handling single objects. But there's still a few things which would greatly improve it:

**UV nesting option (as Rhino does for OBJ export)
**support for mesh objects in Moi (n-gon of course), so we can mesh objects one by one and export all in one LWO file.
**layer system, and an option to sort objects by name, layer, grouping, etc when exporting
**limiting n-gons to specific faces by clicking on them while meshing

jonah