Selection without adding

Hi everyone, I've recently come over to MoI and am loving it. My background mostly XSI and I'm working on getting things streamlined right now. On thing that's kind of driving me nuts is the fact that when you select an object it adds to the previous selection. All the poly-modelers I've used cancel an old selection when you pick something new and require you to do something like shift+select to add to your current selection. Am I missing something on how this is suppose to function smoothly, or maybe can I script it to just auto-cancel out of an old selection every time I pick a new one? It's not a huge problem but it's definitely irritating when I start moving and chopping up things I don't mean to.

Also, I saw a video of the new v3 function where you can click and drag to move faces kind of like how Sketchup translates faces of objects. This select and move works fine on whole objects, but not on elements like faces. Not sure what I'm doing wrong.

Sorry if these have obvious fixes. MoI is very different from what I'm used to, though mostly in a good way.