Circle to Square Loft - Why Won't This Fillet in Moi or Fusion 360 - Good Methods and Dos and Don'ts of CAD

Hey everybody :)

I'm new to Moi, and CAD for that matter, and have been giving myself some basic modeling exercises to pick up the program and the concepts of CAD.

I've been racking my brain with fillets for the last 2 days. I've read on the forum that fillets can be quite tricky and that there are workarounds when a fillet won't calculate. I also found out that different applications handle fillets differently, so one app might be able to do something that another would not.

I've been trying to model a computer stand and there is a transition going from round to square and I've tried every possible way I could think of to get this to work, the most direct being to just loft from a cylinder to a square and fillet the transition. For some reason though this doesn't seem to be possible. I've been trying it for hours, multiple different shapes, trying rounded squares, nothing seems to work. I tried getting the point count on both the circle and rounded square to be the same - still didn't work. I tried taking the file and importing it in Fusion 360 - it still wouldn't fillet.

The solution, I suppose, would be to do a manual fillet as described here:
http://k4icy.50webs.com/tutorials/Fillet_Using_Sweep_and_Blend.html

But now I'm just curious - what prevents this from filleting, not just in Moi, but in Fusion 360, I'm assuming there's just something not possible or very difficult to do, but I don't really understand what that is... My question is - why won't this work, what are good general methods of working to ensure that filets and most operations will work and where can I read up more on proper and efficient ways of working with nurbs. Basically - I'm looking for something explaining the concepts and methods one should use or not use when working in CAD.

Thank you so much!

Attachments: