New Aug-1 bug fix release available

815.3 In reply to 815.2 
Hi Schbeurd, thanks for testing it!

That cannon shot really shows off the shading quality improvement that having accurate vertex normals brings - it's looking soooo nice and smooth there. And having n-gons should make even the wireframe look really nice too! ;)

It was really frustrating before not being able to get geometry into Modo through OBJ, so I'm glad that there is now a good pathway.

> I still can see some rendering artifacts (see image 3 - Top)

I'm not quite understanding this one part - is there something wrong with the stuff circled in the upper-left view there?

> There are some shading problems in 3D view (image 1) but they are not annoying (at least for me).

Yeah, this appears to be a side effect of Modo not doing double-sided lighting for the realtime 3D view. Those darker ones are the meshes that ideally you would want to flip if flipping was working properly in Modo. I guess the best thing for now is to just ignore that since it works fine at actual render time, or try to close off the ends and build stuff as solids in MoI so that normals will get oriented to the "outside" automatically.

> And, maybe a dumb question, but if the support of vertex normals in 301 is better
> than in the current version, do you plan to deactivate (turn off) double side materials
> for LWO objects ?

Actually, I was thinking no, that it is probably best to leave this with the new way because it only sets double-sided lighting on open meshes. Meshes that are created from solids will not have that turned on.

Open surfaces generally sort of need double-sided materials for them to render in a more expected way...

Thanks very much for your testing support!

- Michael