New Aug-1 bug fix release available

815.11 In reply to 815.10 
Hi Jacobo, that's great news! Thanks for testing that. I will use this update for Join then. I'm not sure if I will put out another beta or not yet, if not then this will be in there for V1 though.

I've tried having a margin for the angle before, but in the simple case what happens is an angle of 20 degrees with a margin of 5 degrees ends up being the same thing as an angle of 25 degrees. It basically just pushes the same thing to happen elsewhere.

One thing that I have thought about is to use a margin as a post-processing step after all subdivisions were complete. Maybe I could scan through and look for areas that had been subdivided just once from the initial base mesh, and glue those back together if the glued-together piece was within the margin angle tolerance. I think that might be the best way to clean up these areas. But I won't have time to experiment with that for the initial V1 release though, I have put this on my list of stuff to tune up later.

Here's an image to show you why these kind of subdivisions happen in the first place:

Without subdivisions, you can see that it would be hard to capture the detail for that little bump. It would be very wasteful to cover this entire surface with an evenly divided mesh that was small enough to capture that bump. Putting in subdivisions allows the mesh to gain detail only where it is needed.

The same thing is happening to that one fillet in your other model - it becomes more tightly curved in that one area in the middle (I think it was a variable-radius fillet), so MoI applies the same kind of logic to it to subdivide it to try and capture the detail of the curvature there. That's why it happens right now anyway.

- Michael
Attachments: