Lightweight Modelling. A case study.

8135.8 In reply to 8135.7 
Hi Marco,

> My intention is absolutely not to model "everything" and "always" with some, good or not, manual techniques to
> minimize the control points count.
>
> What I'm trying to do is to gain experience with a bunch of techniques that in some particular situations could help me to
> work with minimalist and lightweight models, in order for example to create lightweight assembly.

Certainly, that can make sense for those particular cases, although it may need to have a pretty high repetition count for it to make a very noticeable difference.

I'm sorry I didn't say in a better way that my comments were not really targeted at you, more at others who could easily view this as a tutorial on how to best create surfaces in general and then spend a lot of time doing this on every single object that they create.

A kind of hybrid approach for this type of object shape would be to offset just the generator curve and then revolve that along with the original curve, that will make a lighter surface than the one that uses surface offset since it will only have the offset density in one surface direction but still give very high accuracy.

In the future it might also be possible for MoI to make procedural offsets rather than generating fitted NURBS surfaces for the offset command, one reason it does not do that currently is so that all surfaces can run through a single general display routine rather than needing to have special cases.

- Michael