Lightweight Modelling. A case study.

8135.7 In reply to 8135.6 
Hi Michael and thanks for sharing your point of view, that certainly is more technical than mine.

But I would like to clarify just a couple of concepts that should have been clear in my previous posts.

Well...

> Hi Marco, so I know these are case studies for your own experiments but I should mention
> that optimizing entirely for surface control point count can come with negative side effects

My intention is absolutely not to model "everything" and "always" with some, good or not, manual techniques to
minimize the control points count.

What I'm trying to do is to gain experience with a bunch of techniques that in some particular situations could help me to
work with minimalist and lightweight models, in order for example to create lightweight assembly.

> like increased modeling time and some decrease in model accuracy since the new object now deviates from a true offset surface by some unknown amount.

As I pointed out in my previous posts, my intention is to use the manual techniques only when I don't need the extreme precision
that, for example, a standard Offset or Shell command can offer.

> 74KB...42KB

The model I uploaded it's only a tiny example but with a big assembly or a very complex model I bet that
we could experiment a non-negligible difference.

Anyway, I wish to thank you for giving me the chance to better clarify my "case study" (why and for what).

Best,

- Marco (mkdm)