Tip: Try centroid triangulation for better ZBrush meshes

Hi guys,

Just wanted to let you know that a little-known option in the Moi.ini file called "CentroidTriangulation" can make a difference in handling a mesh exported from MoI to ZBrush.

Centroid triangulation is an alternative method of generating triangular faces during MoI export. My setting in the Moi.ini file was CentroidTriangulation=n (off). I don't remember if this is the default setting, I might have changed it earlier on.

Anyway, after encountering some difficulties handling a mesh in ZBrush that was exported from MoI, I decided to try setting this option to CentroidTriangulation=y , and it made a difference. The first export didn't Dynamesh properly in ZBrush, the second version (with CentroidTriangulation=y) Dynameshed flawlessly.

The opposite might be true in other cases, so it's good to be aware of the option.

Michael, maybe it's a good idea to add the Centroid triangulation option as a checkbox to the mesh export options of MoI V4, to make it more accessible? Thanks in advance.

Additionally, it is advised to use the 'Quads + Triangles' option and 'Divide larger than' set to 'All' in the mesh export dialog when exporting for ZBrush, for more regularly distributed polygons across all surfaces.

Last but not least, I assign differently colored styles to key surfaces in MoI, and import in ZBrush using the option to import Obj materials as polygroups. Then I use those polygroups as ZRemesher guides by activating the KeepGroups option.

All the best,

Metin

EDITED: 22 Oct 2016 by METINSEVEN