Fillet problem

8063.2 In reply to 8063.1 
Hi Octo, could you also post a link to the 3DM model so I could take a look?

But it looks like MoI is having some difficulty intersecting the fillets with each other - the first result you show might be salvagable by some direct editing of the fillet surfaces that were able to be generated despite the intersection error, I could try to show you how to do that.

Or also if you were also to include the chamfer edges as part of what was being filleted it would probably make it easier for the fillet to work, because edges that meet up smoothly with one another also have fillet segments made along them to also meet up smoothly as well. When there is a sharp corner between 2 edges that are being filleted, it means the fillet surfaces do not just naturally meet up end-to-end with each other and the fillet engine has to figure out how to extend them and cut them back and that's a more complex thing than it may initially seem.

Blend is more focused on smooth things - it's focused on making a smooth connection between 2 surfaces but when you have a sharp corner between 2 adjacent surfaces, that means there isn't really any similarity of surface shape at that spot and so the 2 blends will be done separately there and you'll have gaps like you show. In the future I think I'm going to try and do something like filleting does and try to extend the blends horizontally and intersect them with each other but just like the fillet case failed that can be a fairly difficult operation.

If you wanted to use Blend you'd also probably need to fillet the chamfer edges so the things you were trying to blend between all had a common surface normal all the way around the blend. Then a tangent blend would be able to work.

> The model seems pretty simple to me...but that chamfered edge seems to cause it?

Yeah, well that makes for a sharp corner there and just fundamentally sharp corners tend to introduce a lot of complexity to fillet calculations.

- Michael