Whats going to be MOI 3d v4

8028.2 In reply to 8028.1 
Hi Ray, I'm glad that you are liking MoI and the forum!

Right now I'm doing a major rewrite of MoI for version 4 and the initial goal of the rewrite is to get a 64-bit version and a native Mac compile. Once those goals are met then I will be seeing about what other new features I can add. This is a major effort and is still underway and I'm not sure yet when it will be complete.

> and the orientation of pull down menus to accommodate the working area.

Could you please describe this a bit more? I don't understand how changing the orientation of pull down menus would have any effect on the working area - the menus in MoI disappear after you pick something on them so they should normally not obscure the working area at all.

> I hope that the orientation of the viewpoint UCS must be there too to work more smoothly in
> some cases. I like to see the ortho faces of the object that you are working for more details
> in some areas.

UCS positioning is already included in MoI v3, you can access it through the View > CPlane command, see here for more details: http://moi3d.com/3.0/docs/moi_command_reference5.htm#cplane . You can do things like set the CPlane onto a planar face of an object, which will cause the Top, Front, and Right views to temporarily reorient so they are relative to that face so you can work locally on that area as if it were aligned to the world axes.

> I hope to see that the parametric commands must be include in MOI 3D. They are helpful to
> make things perfect when you deals with mechanical parts.

This is something that I'd like to add in the future but it will involve a lot of work including a lot of UI design work (which is time consuming for MoI) and so I'm not sure when it will happen.

> Can you incorporate the Solid editing in MOI 3D to help the artist or designers to edit their own 3D objects in place.

I think this is more likely to happen sooner than parametrics.

> I like to see if it possible to have the facility to print their own 3D models in 2D layouts or
> 3D printing.

MoI already supports 3D printing by exporting to STL format, any 3D printer driver software or printing service will accept that format for printing. I would like to add more stuff for 2D output in the future but for now you can do 2D prints by exporting to PDF format and printing the PDF file, or also you can export to DXF format for import into a 2D CAD program such as Draftsight for doing 2D drawings.

> I like to see the function of Plug-ins instead of using the shortcut key for the scripts
> commands and it is more easy for the users.

I do want to improve the UI for setting up shortcut keys in the future - it has not been a priority so far because users only spend a small amount of time setting up shortcut keys as compared to actually drawing and modeling things and it has been difficult to justify spending a lot of effort in an area that is only rarely used.

> I like to see the introduction of copyright to our designs to avoid
> theft of 3D objects.

I don't have any idea how this would be possible, could you describe any details of how this would work?

Thanks very much for your feedback!

- Michael