lwo normal issues

Hi, I have noticed some strange results when using moi with Modo, exporting meshes as .lwo files.
It's great that moi exports vertex normals so things look nice and smooth, but I think there must be something weird going on since the lighting doesn't react correctly for the imported object, and shadows are all messed up.
Taking a simple render of a native sphere (left) against the imported sphere (right) from moi (the native sphere is subdivided so it looks smooth) you can see when shadows are turned on there is some nastiness:

If shadows are turned off, the lighting seems to be wrong in that the elevation is reversed:

I've tried it on quite a few models and its the same.

On a side note, I seem to have problems with using .obj since at the edges of fancy trims where there are some skinnier tris there is always some normal problem where they get smoothed with the wrong edges and it looks almost rippled instead of sharp. lwo seems to not suffer from this, but has the problems highlighted here.
Anoyone else have this?
This isn't a case of each vertex having just a single normal in the .obj is it? They have separate uv's across nurbs patch boundaries...
Anyway just trying to gear up for a nice render, any help appreciated.