KeyShot renders of MoI model

7930.18 In reply to 7930.17 
Hi Carlos,

I started with Unreal and I do believe you are correct, at the time UE had better Archviz. After seeing Unity's Adam video, I figured I could get there with Unity.

Clearly Unity has the cleaner workflow. One of the the clinchers for me was something so very simple: there was no way out of the box to easily modify shaders in UE. To do anything, you have to go to the node editor, which meant learning the intricacies of yet another node editor. Just setting the texture tile size required a substantial edit to the material shader in the node editor. Ugh.

After playing around and doing some tests, I also discovered the breadth and wealth of the Unity ecosystem. More and better tools, like Gaia (phenomenal) and Shader Forge (if you like node editors), and all of Amplify's post tools, and VR Panorama Pro for creating 360 renders-- and the list goes on and on. Furthermore, Octane is coming (I hear this quarter) to Unity thus pretty much making the render quality issue mute. Even so, the new progressive renderer, with the new post effects stack, gets you pretty close.

The two key things I potentially like about Quixel, are the vast array of physically real bitmaps, and the ability to create seamless and tilable maps. Neither are possible in 3D Coat.

The goal is to create a library of Unity compatible Archviz textures which can easily be added to scenes. If anyone knows a better way to do this, I'm all ears.