Considerations about modelling huge and micro objects both present in a scene at same time.

7920.4 In reply to 7920.3 
Hi Marco,

> Given that, let's say again, the actors are a spaceship fleet, varying in size in the
> range of 10-100 meters, and a planet sized like the Earth.

I guess I'd recommend only modeling the spaceships in a CAD program like either MoI or Rhino, and create the planet only inside the animation program and not in CAD at all.

Or maybe you could render the planet separately using different unit scales for each in the modeles, and composite the renders together rather than trying to model the planet using the same units as your spaceships.

I'm not sure which way would be the best, you'd probably have to try a couple different ways. In some ways the animation programs will be less sensitive to tolerances at least at modeling time because they usually don't do operations using iterative solvers like CAD programs do where they refine a result like an intersection curve until it is within the target tolerance level. But with rendering as opposed to modeling there can still be tolerance issues in the animation program as well for stuff like bias factors in ray tracing where the start point of a shadow ray has to be moved slightly above a polygon so it doesn't hit the same polygon it's coming off of and result in self shadowing. Often times that's a fixed distance value and might need to be set to different values that are relative to the scale of the objects being rendered.

> If so, that means that the objects in .obj format can get rid of the tolerance, while until i'm
> working with nurb objects i always have to think about the tolerance ?

You may still need to worry about tolerances at render time if there are things like bias factors involved. You should probably do some simplified test runs using different methods to see if there are problems or not.

- Michael