Vector into 3D - fillet/chamfer problems

7781.17 In reply to 7781.16 
Hi Lewis, I'm afraid that if the input geometry is messy and garbled it just isn't possible to use it directly. It's the old saying of "garbage in = garbage out" - if your original 2D vector input is of good quality then you'll be able to use it directly but if it isn't good quality you will have to clean it up.

I watched your last video and your question was "why do I get these extra lines" - those are again pretty much the same problem as before, the 2D vectors used in the font are a little messy there and made up of multiple segments rather than being a long single smooth chain of curves. You say something like "I didn't import it, I created it entirely inside of MoI", but that's not really true because the geometry is actually being imported from the font file in that case and it's also not particularly unusual for fonts to be made up of messy geometry as well since they were originally designed just for 2D printing which is not as sensitive to messy geometry as 3D modeling operations are.

But I'm also not sure why you are so concerned about those edges in this particular case since it doesn't prevent you from doing the fillet you want...

Anyway the particular reason for those edges is that when a contour is extruded, each separate segment in the profile curve will get extruded into its own face, so having lines like that means there are separate segments in the generator curve, if you use the option to generate curves instead of solids you can then use Edit > Separate on the curves to break them into their individual segments and you'll see each of those pieces being a separate curve after using Edit > Separate on it.

It may be possible in the future for me to do some more gluing together of these separate segments when 2D vector art is imported (either from AI format or from font files, they are very similar) at the expense of slightly altering the curve shape in order to force pieces that are close to being smooth to be exactly smooth instead. Right now it does not try to do that and just brings in the curves exactly as they are structured in the original 2D vector data.

- Michael