Universal Manipulator

770.26 In reply to 770.20 
> Is there anything behind the scenes in MoI that could be programmed to call up a 3D bounding box?

You mean just to be able to snap to the corners with the regular current rotate command?

Hi Michael,

I'm thinking more for scaling operations...and this might be a case of where I'm applying Rhino characteristics to MoI in terms of the capability to easily scaling non-uniform shaped objects or objects with curvy geometry. I just did a comparison and see that MoI has better snapping tools.. it has no trouble snapping to the outer perimeters of an object with a planar projection, so for instance, even if you are only looking in the front viewport and snapping to the
highest and lowest point of an object which isn't straight up and down, MoI will project the location perpendicular to the X axis by default, where as in Rhino it takes an extra step because you have to turn Planar on if you don't normally have it on.

There was a bounding box manager for Rhino 3 as part of the Gelffing toolset that I found useful for scaling gemstones or objects with a lot of curvy geometry. There's experimental script for Rhino 4 that sort of accomplishes the same thing, but instead of typing numbers in a dialog box for X Y and Z lengths and locations. you have to use the non-uniform scaling tool on the bounding box

However, it's possible to do the same thing in MoI by laying down construction lines and scaling one dimension at a time..

What do you think of a ghosted bounding box used with a non-uniform scaling tool so you can do all three axes with one command in MoI?

Jesse
jdkjewelry3d.blogspot.com

EDITED: 20 Jul 2007 by JESSE