Universal Manipulator

770.16 In reply to 770.15 
Well to clarify my point on this, I'm not so much asking for a manipulator, but asking for a way to be able to scale & rotate in MOI without launching a command - we already have immediate movement by selecting and object and dragging it,

I'd like to see that extended for >simple< scales and rotations...

When I run the move command, it's because I want to move one point to exactly another point (typically with the assistance of snaps). For the majority, I'm just dragging and moving the objects around.

However whenever I want to perform a simple scale or rotate, I have to go though a command process, pick two points etc., all I'm looking for is a way in MOI to just size a cube or sphere without the formal process.

Brian's suggestion brought back up those desires - typically they're implemented by manipulator widgets. I not sure what Michael could invent to allow scaling and rotation (in all 3 axes) without some kind of GUI to assist similar to simple moves?

Since Michael stated he wanted to follow the Illustrator style, if you look at Illustrator, at no time does it require a formal process to rotate or scale (or move) its objects.

Running Illustration CS3 now, I've drawn a simple rectangle. Select the rectangle with the object tool and I get a 8-handle bounding box surrounding the rectangle - I can grab the little squares to quickly resize the rectangle, I can move the rectangle by clicking within the bounding box and move it around or by placing my cursor near a corner rectange, I get a cursor that indicates that rotation is possible by dragging left or right.

I'd love to see even that in MOI - of course in the front or side views, you'd need to also be able to rotate, scale and move in the Z direction...

That's actually all I'm asking for when I requested a widget - the commands are great for precise rotations, scales and moves, but sometimes you just want to click-drag your adjustment and continue on - widgets need not apply if you can figga out how to do it!

-Will