First impressions of a new user (MOI vs Autodesk123d)

Excellent !

I mean, really good - I'm very impressed - I've been struggling for a fortnight with Autodesk 123D which has very unintuitive UI, heavily compromised by an attempt to provide touch/tablet support.

I climbed a long way up its learning curve - but there are many annoyances and seemingly several actual bugs (moving points don't snap to grids, tool palettes can't be moved, many operations simply 'don't work' - actually because the geometry hasn't snapped properly and things do not lie on the plane or line you think they do.)
Other annoyances are the ludicrous 'highlight' of selected objects - (which makes them very slightly darker cyan), and the 'depressed' (read 'greyed out') operation buttons which actually represent the operation in progress) - They so nearly made something brilliant - and actually because of half a dozen problems made something terrible.

So - coming to MOI ... love the UI - the multiple viewports, nice menus - simple, well presented, consistent layout - powerful operations, that work, first time, just the way you'd expect.

I have to temper all this praise with one criticism - which was that for about an hour last night, once my model got a little bit complicated I started running into the threading problem with the viewports - This causes all sorts of extremely weird and very frustrating behaviour - one clue is the overlaid viewport captions - but also lighting fails, picking and panning goes crazy and artefacts are rendered into the 'wrong' viewports. Editing the .INI file and setting the threading limit to one immediately solved all the problems - (but you really need to fix this in the interests of gaining customers)

I will make the very most of my 30 day trial - as a hobbyist/inventor, it's difficult to justify the $295 + VAT, but I might just spring for it (and certainly will if any of my inventions take off) - Just wish there was some sort of pay-as-you-go licensing model. Check out my own on-line snooker game http://www.quicksnooker.com I know a bit about how hard it is to make software pay (and had to get a 'real job' again).

One more thing (a suggestion/feature request) - could we have the ADWS keys move the camera - left, right, in and out - combined with (holding) right mouse button to 'look' - it would let us 'walk around' our models in the 'first person shooter' mode (our youth are so familiar with) .. my models aren't even the architectural type this would be most suited to - but it's a paradigm millions of people are familiar with.

Many thanks

PS let me know if you're hiring ;o)