Rendering Software

Working as an architectural illustrator requires that I work fast to make it profitable. I avoid using rendering software because the architecture is only half of the image. The landscaping, shading, people, etc are what connects buildings with the real world while conveying ambiance. Those non-designed elements are often very difficult and render without a lot of trial and error and a powerful machine.

So I used a digital/hand hybrid method. During the conceptual phase of a project I would print on paper quick and dirty 3d views fairly light on detail. I would sketch over the printout on tracing paper while adding trees, people, cars, landscaping, clouds, birds, water, and any needed architectural fenestration. I would then scan this and hand color it with a tablet as a layered photoshop file. The linework would be the top locked layer with a multiply transparency and each individual element gets its own layer such as: glass, wood, stucco, roofing, grass, tree trunks, flowers, shading, highlights, etc. I have custom pens for each layer that I use on all of my illustrations which made it a faster process.

My answer is technically hand rendering with software, which doesn't exactly give you what you are asking for.

So I will add my approval for keyshot. Yes it is expensive, but you make up for it fast with hours of time saved. It's so easy to use it should be illegal. The only downside is that you are still left with the need to frame your buildings with the real world, which is not easy to render.

If anyone would like to download my pen libraries let me know and I will post a link. They are large.

-Jason