Is there a way to make a part totally solid?

7438.4 In reply to 7438.3 
Hi Bob,

> I actually did start with solids (attached). Everything seemed fine at that point.

Do you mean your attached file "Remade Funnel 5-1.3dm" ? That does not have just one solid in it, I'm seeing 13 curves, 6 open surfaces, and 8 solids in there...

Here are just the open surfaces being shown - see how many pieces are just sticking right through each other? Those types of areas are not ready to be joined together into a solid:

So maybe I'm completely not understanding what you are asking about, but that file #1 is a long way from being a finished up single solid. If that was accepted as a 3D printable model that's kind of a huge stroke of luck involved, it's not really ready to be printed yet.

To be 3D printed, you've got to have the model configured as just one single solid piece, not a bunch of separate surfaces and many different solids that may be sitting next to each other or sticking partially through each other. In some circumstances it could be possible that could work but if so it's a lucky coincidence and not an expected thing.

- Michael

EDITED: 7 Jun 2015 by MICHAEL GIBSON

Attachments: