Basics

7434.6 In reply to 7434.4 
Hi arekm, there is already a mechanism in place to prevent what you are describing from happening - it's why the current file name can only be set when you save to 3DM format.

You gave these steps here:

> Scenario:
> - do some model
> - save as 3dm
> - do more work, click save button
> - save as stl for test print or preview in 3d slicer for example
> - do more work, click save
> - close program... whoops I just lost part of work since it got saved as stl only.

If you repeat these exact steps you should find that when you do the "Save As" to STL format, it does not change the name of the currently active 3DM file, the current open 3DM file will remain the same as before. So because of that when you do the next save after that, that next save is saving your full work to 3DM format.

Basically any time you do a save, if it's not to 3DM format it will not set the active file name. That means that when you later on do a Save to save the current file, it will be the full 3DM file that you will be saving to, not some other format that may not hold your full data.

The reason why it does that is to specifically avoid the type of problem that you are worried about.

> My current workaround is to save file twice everytime I want to save - which means ton of clicking,
> confirming overwriting and that every time I'm saving progress (which is often). Pain.

None of this is necessary - if you have opened a 3DM file and you do a "Save", it will save that current active 3DM file and it does not matter if you have done any file saves to other formats before that.

> How others are dealing with this?

You just hit "Save" and it saves your full data to the active 3DM file.

- Michael