Moi3d V4 beta version approximately when?

7430.11 In reply to 7430.10 
Hi arekm,

> I would say - rely on qt5 rendering and don't go lowlevel into drivers.

That's fine for the GUI - but not for MoI's 3D viewport window - the 3D viewport needs to use hardware accelerated 3D graphics and that is dependent on your video driver.

> If driver is buggy then mention that (or better bugreport into mesa.org/freedesktop.org
> bugtracker) and do not workaround.

This is precisely the type of extra additional work burden that I'm worried about.

> Doesn't qt5 give enough crossplatform to do not care (much) whether we are on windows/mac or linux?

For a fair amount yes, but there are enough quirks on each platform that supporting a new one does not happen "for free". Much of the code is more cross platform C++ code rather than Qt specific stuff. Even just the workload of doing builds on another platform adds to the amount of work that I need to do. It takes time to learn all the quirks and toolset behaviors on each platform.

> Some crossplatform build system (cmake.org prehaps)

That's another issue - right now I don't have the build itself to be cross platform, I'm more comfortable using an IDE so I'm using Visual Studio on Windows, and XCode on Mac, and I would need to do some more work to make the Linux build happen.

So there are various things each of which require more time spent on them, which is difficult to do when time is in short supply...

Then the problem is after spending that additional effort, what is the overall benefit as far as how many users are actually served by that work. If it's a very small number then it's not cost effective.

It's a possibility for the future but probably not for the v4 time frame. It's already a huge undertaking just to get a native Mac build as it is.

- Michael