Extrude Normals

739.12 In reply to 739.11 
Hi Will, I'm tuning up chamfer now and now I figured out what is strange about it in the current beta.

Currently it takes 2 distances, and for every edge it has to figure out which side of the edge should get distance 1 and which side should get distance 2. The way it currently works is that if you have a face selected, or all the edges of a face selected, then that will get distance 1 to the side of that face. Everything else gets distance 2.

But this means that if you have an entire object selected (no faces or edges selected), then everything will use distance2, that's why it feels weird currently with things only having an effect when you change the second distance only, and nothing happening when you change the first distance.

I'm tuning this up for the next beta so that by default chamfer will just have one distance input which will make things easier to control for simple chamfers. There will be a "use 2 distances" checkbox that will let you show the 2nd distance and make things behave the same as the current beta, except I'll switch it so that if no faces or edges are selected everything will get distance 1 instead of distance 2 since that just seems a bit more expected..

EDIT: there is actually another bug mixed in there for the current beta that makes the whole distance1/distance2 thing get fouled up after the first run through as well..

- Michael

EDITED: 11 Jul 2007 by MICHAEL GIBSON