My solution for filleting problems

As my workflow in my MoI models becomes more complex, I'm running into more filleting issues. From what I can gather, different solids kernels are optimized for different sorts of geometric operations. In particular, MoI and Rhino are specifically focussed more on NURBS splines and surface modeling, whereas other tools like SolidWorks tend to favor more solids operations with a concentration on fillets and volume edits. This doesn't mean one can't fillet (or shell) in MoI or Rhino, just that it doesn't always work as well.

Frenchy to the rescue with the announcement of the new cloud based Onshape solids modeler. While not as full-featured as SolidWorks, it does have some nice features, including super easy to sign-up for and use along with the fact it's free* to use. Note: you do have to be connected to the Internet as Onshape works IN YOUR BROWSER.

I know others have also suggested Onshape, but I thought a video might help those who haven't yet tried it.

So, I just export as STEP, import into Onshape, perform some fillets and export out as STEP and IMPORT back to MoI. It's quicker than it sounds.

Here's a video describing the workflow of going from MoI to Onshape and back again which takes only a couple of minutes. Actually, quite a timesaver from having to 'debug' the fillets in MoI.

*The Free plan limits concurrent access to 5 private documents-- which is more than enough for using it along with MoI in this fillet workflow.

EDITED: 21 Apr 2015 by CHIPPWALTERS