need some workflow advice for mechanical sculpture

Hi,

I'm new to MOI. I've been making mechanical sculpture for a while though, stuff like this:
http://www.pbase.com/schardt/charwash

For CAD, I've been using a ca 2002 version of VectorWorks. It's slow as heck, with a hacky UI, and it won't run on any version of OSX later than Leopard, which I have on my old Mac. (Don't laugh too much now!) It's served me well but I really want to move on to a modern CAD program that has what I need:
1) Under $1000
2) 3D editing of solids, but strong 2D editing too.
3) Parametric editing of surfaces and solids
4) Outputs good quality curves for laser cutting.
5) Outputs well to 3D printers
6) Outputs good quality construction drawings, with dimensions, labels, etc...

I don't need:
A) Photorealistic rendering (for now at least)
B) Wall tools and other features specific to buildings.

I'll be running on OSX.

My first "date" in this partner-search was Sketchup. I liked a LOT about it, but the fact that all of the model data is faceted made it useless.

MOI is my second "date". I like it even better, but because it lacks dimensions, labels and scales, I guess I would need to output my model to a second program in which I could add these features necessary for construction drawings. I'm wondering if you sage, experienced MOI users can suggest a good workflow for this:
1) Which program would be best for adding dimensions and labels and drawing to scale?
2) What file format for model transfer?
3) Export the model 3D and render to 2D in the second program, or export 2D from MOI?

I guess I'm also asking:
1) Do you think MOI is the right program for me?
2) Any other comments on this workflow?

Thanks so much!
Christopher