Just thought I'd share.

After not using MOI much since buying it (I'm a very literal, logical person and the genius of its ease of use actually confused me), I thought I'd turn to it after Geomagic kept crashing and crashing...

Anyway, this is the funnel for a Sims-class destroyer conversion for the 1/350th scale Dragon USS Benson kit. The Benson and the Sims classes used the same hull, but were different in many respects above the main deck level, one significant difference being the heavily trunked funnel. Seriously, whoever designed this thing must have been drunk, or at least slightly mad.

The basic work was done in Geomagic, but the lofting, sweeps, and most of the piping was all done in MOI. With respect to Geomagic, it simply couldn't handle the lofts, in particular, but MOI had no problem doing so. The deckhouse was done in Geomagic, in between nonstop crashes, that is. The funnel cap is there; Geomagic just ghosted it out during the JPG conversion process, for some reason. MOI handled the funnel cap sweeps and lofts wonderfully; Geomagic just failed or crashed. The same with the gussets on the funnel base where it intersects with the uptake trunks or legs. Organic shapes are clearly MOI's forte.

There are still a few small details to work out on the funnel, but then its on to the after deckhouse and quad torpedo tube mounts. I have a feeling I'll be using MOI for more of the work than I had thought I would, if the funnel is any indication .

Bob