MoI suitable for vehicle designs? Closed

7275.78 In reply to 7275.77 
Thanks Frenchy!

My client has this idea for a car that splits in two. He is filming a documentary on car design and wants to show this concept. I'm no huge fan of the idea, and as a designer can certainly find implementation issues going forward. Still, the idea is to create something which sparks the interest, much like the Ambulance Drone.

If you notice, the back and front wheels are 'tiltable' with the front one being able to 'split' depending on whether in Bi-mode or Quad-mode. One idea has a gyro stabilization which can adjust the wheels to provide balance, much like Segway. Another idea could be some sort of 'training wheels' which deploy below and to the side of the vehicle when at a standstill or going too slow to be stable. Sure, there are problems with all of this, but the keen point is to create a concept which inspires folks to think.

Pardon the side trip, and not saying you are being critical, but the tendency to overthink technology with regard to implementation issues can sometimes get in the way of functional brainstorming. Case in point, I've been asked to help facilitate the upcoming DARPA Neural Engineering Bootcamp with the goal of taking a futurist look at what's possible in the next 5, 10 and 15 years. One of the conference attendees wants to start off with a regulatory workshop, to *make sure* what we think of can realistically be done. I'm not sure this is valuable, as we don't want to put too many constraints on what's possible, and instead put constraints on the problem area(s) we're trying to ideate on-- especially with regard to current policy.

Much of what I do conceptually focuses on what's possible, not what is currently doable. :-) MoI lets me do this in a way that allows people to *suspend disbelief* for a tiny moment.