MoI suitable for vehicle designs? Closed

7275.50 In reply to 7275.49 
Hi OSTexo,

Yes, when I looked at formZ some years back, I wasn't that impressed. But since version 7, it seems like a whole new beast. With the version 8 addition of sub division tools I decided to give it another look. It does have a lot of tools for architectural design, but with the addition of the flowing organic lines used by Frank Gehry, Zaha Hadid and Santiago Calatrava. In fact it was when I saw a model of a Zaha Hadid building and the Valencia Opera House by Calatrava done in formZ that it occurred to me that it could be used for so much more than just architecture. Being grounded in architecture with many design professionals depending on it is a good thing, with a lot of the quirks already worked out and for creating the good solid geometry necessary for 3D printing and CNC milling.

It has been used in movies for miniature model design, set design, pre-visualization, etc. in movies like Minority Report, John Carter, Pirates of the Caribbean, Jumper, Transformers, Time Machine and many, many more. It is used by animators, illustrators, engineers, industrial designers, urban planners and architects. It's a great surface and solid modeler. I've only been using it for a short time but I really like it.

Looking at some of the videos of the new Zbrush 4R7 you can create some really cool models. But when you analyze the work flow in those videos it looks so incredibly tedious to get anything done, not to mention, making any significant modifications must be a nightmare. FormZ lets you quickly put together a design and easily refine it. There's a definite learning curve but it seems so much faster than some of the other modeling software that I've looked at. Try the free 30 day demo, I think you'll be impressed.