MoI suitable for vehicle designs? Closed

Hey guys!
(Long post here - haven't had time to answer til now, been on vacation)

So many answers! It has taken me quite some time to go through them - checking out the software's you recommended and trying a few of them out.

Andrei:
Thank you for your insights and also your recommendation of using Sub-D's and NVil in particular. It seems like a good software. I already do use Sub-d - I have a license of MODO 801 and I have Sub-d-modeling as a part of my design process. I really like to do the initial modeling in MODO. I have spent about 4 months now in MoDo and I feel that its great for the early design phase - Push/pull polygons to create a base-mesh and to play around try out different concepts. But as this part is completed I prefer going to a Nurbs modeler to finalize things. Getting all the curves perfect and all edges/fillets exactly where I want them - because this has been very frustrating and hard for me to do in sub-d. I understand that this is because I dont have enough skills and understanding of how topology/edgeflow etc works and Im sure I would be able to do it in Sub-D one day if I just practice more, but I think its important to use a tool that _feels_ good - if you know what I mean?
I do respect your opinion, I know you are a very experienced modeler so I will take some time and try out NVil properly (eventhough I already have MODO). Im currently looking through your NVil tutorials on your youtube channel. It does look interesting.

Raoul:
Thanks again for explaining as well as showing your workflow.
I think 40 hrs sounds reasonable, especially as you were learning the tools at the same time.
Im currently trying out your workflow - building rough model in MoI first like you said, and meanwhile I just started out playing with Rhino and going through some tutorials.
Do you by any chance know any good tutorials that could accelerate my learning - except for the ones I can find on Youtube and on Rhino website? (I certainly dont mind paying a bit if they are worth it).

Mauro (M-DYNAMICS):
Thank you for your input and sharing your projects. I agree with you fully that sub-d is the way to go early on, to find the right proportions. I use MODO as well. Would be great to follow along on your upcoming carmodeling project, the ones you showed here looks outstanding – alot of attention to detail there, very cool.

OSTexo:
”Did you also happen to see the model file you could download that went along with the PDF? ”
Ah yes, there was a folder with several Rhino files. I have not tried to do the tutorial yet though. I will try to get the hang on Rhino itself first. I only played around with Rhino a little bit before, but this was in school about 6 years ago now, so I have some catching up to do :)
Yeah you are quite right, it would be beneficial to me to understand continuity since I hope to do designs for car companies in the future.
Interesting stuff there, thanks alot! Cool workflow with T-splines and 3DCoat there. 3dCoat has a lot of very creative solutions, I think we will be seeing more of that software in the future. I tried its sculpting tools abit before and it was not bad at all. I would say that Zbrush appealed to me more for some reason, I think that was due to the interface though.
But anyway, thanks alot for the links. I do wish there was more tutorials on ADSM around though.

Chippwalters:
Oh yes absolutly, being facile and very fluent in the software is my key concern as well. Thats why Im spending alot of time looking around trying out different approaches to hopefully one day find one the suits me. The dream would be to find a software that doesnt hinder or slow creativity, one that actually inspires and speeds it up.
Thank you for sharing that. I was not aware that Bulgarov uses MoI in his workflow. He is a very interesting and dedicated guy, check this interview with him I found on soundcloud, its very inspiring: https://soundcloud.com/the-collective-podcast/the-collective-ep-7-vitaly

RobertH:
Thank you for the recommendation of FormZ. I remember someone telling me about that software a few years ago, but this was the first time I actually tried it out. I was under the impression that it was a tool for architects. I have to say Im pleasently suprised by it. I watched through all the video links you posted and there seems to be an array of tools for complex form creation. I noticed alot of interesting easy-to-use tools in the deform area for example as well.

One question though which I really cant answer myself:
How would the capabilities of FormZ stand up against Rhino(+Shape Modeling) - in terms of surface-matching and controlled form-transitions?

Bisenberger:
Thanks for the link. Looks interesting, I think its a little unfortunate that its a pdf document. Would certainly be worth the 50 dollars if it was a video tutorial, now Im not so sure. I've never been a fan of reading pdf's for some reason.

PaQ:
”I can't wait Max Smirnov work to see how it turns on real projects. I do not care about the lack of editing... ”
Im not sure I follow here, are you referring to the obj-importer?

Kevjon:
Very impressive that he managed to do that in Sketchup. Somehow all the models seem very ”boxy/chunky” I have to say.

EDITED: 3 Mar 2015 by BLINDFOLDJUMP