MoI suitable for vehicle designs? Closed

7275.14 In reply to 7275.13 
blindfoldjump,
Daniel Simon as I remember use Alias, Vitaly Bulgarov use SoftImage, absolutely different approaches.
Fact is that you can make models like Black Phoenix Project http://www.bulgarov.com/index.html of Vitaly Bulgarov in MoI. He used hard surface approach that is very close to MoI. But you CAN NOT make any other models of him like this http://www.bulgarov.com/personalprojects.html in MoI.
If you think that you will make those templates in Sub-D than using import obj will import them in MoI and then create surfaces around that polly references, I hasten to disappoint you, it is not so easy like you think. First Import Obj not as perfect as you might think, it works not bed on simple models but on complex models it will not make good work, at least it will not join all polygons. Second if you think it is easy work to recreate those complex "organic" like shapes in MoI you are wrong, I can say it for sure because I have big experience making that forms in MoI. You will spend A LOT OF time very a lot to reproduce complex shapes in MoI, and I can say for sure you will be not satisfied with result.
My experience shows if you start make Concept in Sub-D you have to finish it in Sub-D, it will save you a lot of time and give you a lot of possibilities to change model on any stages.
My suggestion to you is to go to good streamlined Modeler like NVil and start to learn Sub-D it is the way to go. Why NVil? Because it is like MoI but for Pollys, the best ever simple streamlined Modeller. Why not nurbs? Because it is good for Modelling but NOT good for Concepting and Alias is VERY expensive but NVil only 80 USD. So it is obvious.

So do not be deceived, MoI is great but not universal and if you are intrested in models like Bulgarov or Daniel Simon you better go to Sub-D. There is no simple ways and you will have to spend a lot of time learning Sub-D or Nurbs.

EDITED: 26 Feb 2015 by ANDREI SAMARDAC