MoI suitable for vehicle designs? Closed

Hi Nick,

I'm also an Industrial Designer who likes to use MoI for concept development. I believe, as some have mentioned, while MoI isn't a single tool to replace them all, it is most valuable as a rapid modeling tool in your overall 3d arsenal.

FWIW, I use SketchUp as a concept tool, Lightwave to create Sub-D models, and MoI for solid modeling and (mostly) 3D printing. I also own Modo, Rhino, and FormZ. KeyShot is my currently favorite renderer, but I also use Thea Render as well.

I tend to focus on speed modeling/rendering the most, and typically I have only a week to fully conceptualize, design, render and photo composite models. Sometimes I create printable prototypes as well.

Certainly surface continuity is critical in creating perfectly accurate auto bodies. But for much of the conceptual design stuff, you may find it requires extraordinary time to create these type of models in Rhino, CAD or even Sub-D. At least that has been my experience.

For instance, I have a new drone project coming up which requires two full concept developments in only 2 weeks. I can't imagine being able to fully design and detail the concepts using a strictly Sub-D workflow in that timeframe. But, I will be able to complete using a SketchUp to MoI workflow as described in the thread:

http://moi3d.com/forum/index.php?webtag=MOI&msg=7199.1

I believe Daniel Simon, of whom you shared one of his images, uses a similar type of workflow, except he uses Alias to rough out forms and then details them in Photoshop/Illustrator. Then he finalizes the design in Alias.

As always, the tools cannot help but shape the final design. If you're using Sub-D, many times the shape can appear "inflated" or "cartoony" (unless you're an expert Sub-D modeler). SketchUp models also have a certain "rough geometric" appearance. NURBs models also have a "NURB" look to them which may be described as not overly detailed. That said, in the hands of true experts, all of these programs can and do create superb results.

While the auto industry has certain requirements for creating finished designs, I still believe lots of conceptual work can be done in a variety of programs. MoI, because of it's excellent UI and workflow, allows me to work really fast to accomplish what I need to be able to. I hope some of this helps.