My thoughts about the development in the close future

7212.6 In reply to 7212.5 
Hi Chipp - yes having a 64-bit multi-platform base using Qt would be the main goal for the restructuring. I would like to get away from using Wine for the Mac version. There will be quite a bit of work involved though so there is a chance that it won't be successful, I won't really know until I'm into it with a few months of effort.

One of the big problems with Wine is that it does not support 64-bit on OSX and probably never will because of low level execution model differences between 64-bit windows programs and 64-bit OSX programs. That's the really big stumbling block that makes it difficult to continue to try and use Wine, but there are several other problems as well.

If Wine had worked out a little bit better there could have been some nice benefits in using it, like having binary plug-ins that ran on all MoI versions without developers needing to build multiple versions. I had kind of hoped to have that, it could have been nice. But Wine is itself mostly focused on running on Linux, it involves sort of a lot of halfway supported pieces for it to run on OSX.

- Michael