(Blender Style) 3D View From Any Orthographic View

There have been many times when working in an orthographic view that I would simply like to roll the view into 3D to get a better perspective of what I am working on (using the orthographic view as a starting point). As it is now, I must click on the "3D" button - and this changes the entire angle of view (not based on my existing orthographic view) - requiring lots of adjustments to get the perspective I need.

Any who are familiar with Blender have also experienced the great convenience and speed at which views can be changed and how the perspective 3D view is available at all times, by means of the middle mouse "rotate" button.

As a counterpart to this suggested function - it would be very convenient to simply hit 1, 2, 3, etc. (as it is in Blender) to obtain a precise orthographic view from the 3D view. Mainly, I would just need the Top, Front and Left views (as their opposite views can be obtained by clicking the right mouse button on view button in question).

I know there is a script for "stepping" through the various views - one at a time until you get the one you want - but no instant view (by number) that I can find. I don't believe there is a script to immediately "roll" right into 3D space from an orthographic view, however.

Does anyone know of a way this can be done - and is there any other interest in this functionality?

Greg Smith