Modeling Complex Shapes/Angles for a Cockpit

Hey Guys,

I'm working on trying to take my 3D modeling skills to the next level and for the life of me can't figure out the best way to do something. I've been working on this for the past 24 hours, trying to figure out the best way to do model the attached into a solid. I've extracted some meshes from a program (cgf files) then converted them to obj files. From there (through lots of trial and error) I've found the best way is to use a converter I'd found on here for converting obj files into what ends up being polygon meshes when loaded into MoI.

From there, I just go into the "mesh", create surfaces, join all surfaces, and end up with a joined surface and this is where I get stuck. From there, I can't seem to generate a solid, even when I close up the model as best I can. I've tried a suggestion I found here in shrinking the model down to see if that will help close things up, but that didn't work.

I'm trying to mull through the best way to create a solid in MoI from these imported obj mesh files.

The attached file has two joined surfaces, the bottom one I've tried to close up in an attempt to make it a solid (unsuccessfully) the top I haven't done much with other than create the planar surfaces and join them.

Ultimately, I'm wondering if this is even the best way to go about this? I've tried just using shapes to sweep or loft to create these complex geometries, but I've been unsuccessful up until now. So my questions are - is pulling the meshes into MoI and using them as some sort of base to create planar surfaces the best way to do this? How would you go about modeling the shape in the attached file? Open to any and all suggestions on how I can create shapes such as this in MoI a bit easier?

Attached is where I stand on modeling this section of cockpit (which is part of a larger model with a lot more complex shapes).

Thanks,

Ryan.