negative fillet?

Now that I have my base object created I was getting back into this portion of it which was using a group of edges to create a curve to sweep and then boolean subtract it from the base. I've run into two problems.

1. When I select my circle (Frame Cutter Profiles layer) and then the frame curve on the same layer to sweep, I'm getting overlapping sweeps instead of a single sweep. I've tried messing with the different sweep settings but nothing seems to make it result in a single sweep.

2. I thought maybe I could make this work anyway since the two sweep objects intersected, so I selected my geometry from the frame base layer and then did a boolean subtract on the first/top sweep. It worked but left a bit of an artifact. I tried it again with the vertical sweep but this time it didn't work. It either doesn't subtract anything at all or if it does subtract, when I then remove the original it doesn't appear to have capped the resulting cavity.

Any ideas what I'm doing wrong? I'm guessing that #1 needs to get worked out for #2 to work properly, but as a newb, I dunno. Thanks.

Oh, also, is there a way to cut or copy and paste curves that aren't on a layer to an existing layer?
Attachments: