I am using MOI for 3D printing. Do I have to union all of my designs or can I leave them as separate parts flush up against each other?

6945.5 In reply to 6945.4 
Hi Dane,

> EDIT: By the way I've been saving all my STLs with the maximum amount of polygons. That
> doesn't affect anything though, right? That just affects how many polygons are used on the
> surfaces in STL, right?

Yes, that's correct, that just controls the density when surfaces are diced up into triangles.

Sometimes it's also not a bad idea to use the additional "Divide larger than" option to force additional polygons to be created, like for your case here if you put in "Divide larger than" = 3 that will divide up polygons on curved surfaces if the polygons are larger than 3 units across. This can help to avoid getting really long and skinny triangles from being formed. You need to push the little down arrow in the bottom left corner of the meshing options dialog to see the "divide larger than" setting.

> So I downloaded V3 and attempted to union everything. It actually seemed to work and MOI
> is treating it as a single object when I select it.

I tried it with your attached file over here too and it seems to make a good result - it reads as a solid and I examined it a bit and could not see any obvious problems...

> There still seems to be seams along the legs and that is what caused a
> problem for the printer.

Do you mean you see the same problem with the new booleaned one you did in v3 ? Maybe it's possible your STL processing software does not like really long and skinny triangles, try putting in Divide larger than = 3 as described above and see if that makes it happier.

> Do I still have to make a hub for it to see this as one object in the STL file?

Nope, the hub thing was just if the tubes were refusing to get booleaned to one another directly. Crossing tubes can just be a difficult type of intersection calculation, but there have been some tuneups specifically for that in v3.

- Michael