V4 Wish List

Hi,

I was thinking that it would be handy to have a system of naming objects which allowed "grouping" together related objects.

On my current printer project I have a number of assemblies that consist of multiple parts. When assigning a name to a part I always include the name of the assembly along with the name of the part.

For example:

Assembly 1 Part 1
Assembly 1 Part 2
Assembly 1 Part 3

Assembly 2 Part 1
Assembly 2 Part 2
Assembly 2 Part 3

While this keeps them together in the browser it doesn't establish any sort of real relationship.

What if we could use names with a specified character in them like "Assembly 1.Part 1" where the specified character (a period in this example) would actually be used establish a relationship allowing them to be displayed them in the browser in a hierarchical manner.

Assembly 1
Part 1
Part 2
Part 3

or perhaps

Assembly 1
Assembly 1 Part 1
Assembly 2 Part 1
Assembly 3 Part 1

Selecting the assembly name could then select all the parts in the assembly. Of course selecting of individual parts would work as it does now.

The character to use could be specified in the settings - my choice would be a period. If no character was selected then the new naming feature could be disabled if desired.

By using a specific character the current approach would work as it does now and no new fields would be needed.

Such a system would be very useful in my work.

Thanks.

Frederick