V4 Wish List

6925.315 In reply to 6925.314 
Hi Andrew, yes I've been paying attention to HiDPI for the v4 Mac build and I'm expecting to support it properly with v4. I haven't tested it on an actual Retina machine yet but I have tested it using the Quartz Debug HiDPI mode and have got everything tuned up there so far.

The expanded SSE registers do seem to be helping, I did a quick test just now of a big fillet operation and in MoI v3 32-bit it took 30 seconds and in v4 64-bit it took 22 seconds (this was the Windows build). So that seems to be going in the right direction. I've heard that in some cases the switch to 64-bit can actually hurt performance since some data doubles in size and then doesn't fit in some memory access cache level where it used to fit. But I don't seem to be running into that so far.

Just being able to address more memory will be a big improvement for MoI though, it's pretty easy to run out right now when exporting out to mesh formats.

For the Mac version there are a whole lot of little weird things that should be tuned up with v4, like text is drawn using Core Text now rather than FreeType so it looks like other system text, you can resize windows from any edge, should look nice on Retina now, zoom to full screen mode works, shouldn't have to mess with "Displays have separate Spaces" for multi monitor to work, doesn't modify the Info.plist anymore so running from the Downloads folder won't fail because of Gatekeeper Path Randomization making the bundle read only, .... I'm sure I'm missing some more. But the single biggest thing that I'm hoping will happen is that MoI shouldn't be as susceptible to getting broken on new OS releases. Wineskin/XQuartz have been pretty fragile in that area.

So not too much longer before you'll be able to test this all out!

- Michael