V4 Wish List

6925.234 In reply to 6925.232 
Hi Robert, yes 64-bit is the main goal of the rewrite for v4, so that will be in the first beta release.

Instancing is high on my radar to work on during the v4 beta period, but it is a big area overall especially including data transfer like you mention. OBJ format does not have any concept of instancing in it. LWO format in its original form I don't think has it either actually, I can't find it mentioned here: http://static.lightwave3d.com/sdk/2015/html/filefmts/lwo2.html it's possible that it's implemented as an extension in it that's not part of the old public spec though. Trying to deal with undocumented types of data can be very time consuming.

It might be possible for FBX and SKP format for current export types. It could be a good reason to implement some additional formats like Collada.

Something that's such a large area isn't too likely to get implemented all in one single go though, it's more likely that it will come in stages with a focus on the UI for working with the instancing in MoI only at first before trying to tackle import/export to other formats.

- Michael