V4 Wish List

6925.116 In reply to 6925.115 
Hi Marco, well that's an awfully long list that you've got there, v4 would take a really long time to come out if I tried to implement all those things in it. I'd hope to get at least some of those things but I have to prioritize and so I'd have to say things related to surfacing continuity, display modes, and surface control point editing are areas that are quite a bit more specialized in use than some of the other things.

The main goal for MoI is to try and make it quick and easy to build simple objects. Many of the tools you are asking for there such as G4 continuity for example are not really in line with that, so it's hard to give them very high priority. Maybe if I understood more details about how having a G4 blend instead of a G2 blend would solve a particular problem for you that could change things though.

I don't in general like to comment too much on wishlist posts because I don't really want to discourage others from posting about what they really want, and my priorities can change a lot if I see a pattern in many people asking for the same stuff. I will tend to comment though if someone posts just one wish saying they hope it will be in the next version but it's either not a good fit or would require a whole lot of work and so isn't too likely anytime soon - I just want to let them know that if some other program already handles what they are asking for they are probably better off using that other program for their work currently (so they can solve their problem and therefore make progress with their productivity) rather than trying to use MoI for something that it's not really designed to do.

One thing to keep in mind is that it's not really a goal for MoI to try and do every single task that's in every existing CAD program all added together. The main goal is more something like trying to take some of the most convenient areas of CAD and make them easier to access both in workflow, UI, and in lower learning curve. But these are rather fragile things and they can pretty easily be lost just simply by "feature bloat" of accumulating a large number of features that are not frequently used. So any new feature kind of starts out with a negative weight to it, and it gains in priority if it would make more people's jobs easier to do in some way. Also my time is fundamentally limited, so each feature comes at a cost - I mean if I'm working on one area it implicitly means some other feature is not getting worked on at that same time. So it tends to be good for me to work on areas that deliver the most "bang for the buck".

- Michael