Fillet problem

6898.4 In reply to 6898.3 
Hi Arian, it looks like there will probably be a lot of things to clean up in the model before it would have a chance to fillet very well. That's a lot of edges that you are asking about and it looks like there will be some simplification or fixing up to do in many of those areas. It will take me a while to review so many edges that you are asking about.

I started with just one particular edge out of the many that you had arrows pointing to, this one here:

There's some problems in the structure of the object in that surrounding area which is probably preventing the fillet from being able to be calculated correctly. Fillet is a rather sensitive operation that involves a lot of tricky calculcations, if there geometry is malformed it can make it much more difficult for the filleter to do a good job.

Some things that I noticed in this area, is that the side pieces are not joined to one another, there are 2 edges here with some gap space between them, rather than that being a unified "side wall":

Also down in this area here I saw this anomaly:

If you zoom in more closely you can get a better view of it:

That sort of strange disruption in a surface usually means the trimming boundary is malformed in some way, like it's criss-crossing over top of itself which will then mess up the sense of what's inside and what's outside the boundary. In this case zooming in even further reveals this bottom edge has a strange hook shape on the end of it:

I guess it may help to know how this area of the object was constructed, it can help if for example you build pieces from a shared common curve to make sure the pieces join together well after they're constructed. If you have pieces that are constructed by only using curves on one side and leaving the other side to kind of wiggle around that can make for this kind of slight deviations between shapes at what you want to be unified edges, and then when joining together things that are sort of close to each other it can make pinching or awkward forms at juncture areas.

So probably these pieces need to be reconstructed to not have these problems before it will be possible to get a fillet on something that is in that same area of the model.

I hope this gives you some idea of what to look for. Later on today I can check out some other area of the model to try and give you some feedback about other areas. It might help if you could indicate just one particular edge to discuss next...

- Michael