Lofting Hull and Fuselage

6887.17 In reply to 6887.15 
Pleasure Mike! If your file arent too big I could try the conversion for you?

GMD's full package is quite expensive. But compared to Solid Works it aint too bad. I would have prefered to start this project in SW but yet again the budget. SW comes as one package I assume? GMD have quite some additional/optional software add ons. Choosing a package for your needs, keeping the prices low. The full package we got about three years ago included Alibre CAM (which I use quite often on the CNC machine), Keyshot (low resolution) and MoI. Some very usefull functions are the assemblies, configurations and constraints. When you, for instance, want to see all the doors open or wheels out, you just activate a configuration. (Havent noticed this in MoI yet?) Works with other stuff like colours, transparency and exploded views too. But I would say GMD is more on the mechanical side of the CAD world. On their forum there havent been much support for these odd lofts.

Theres one other thing I tried but didnt work so well. Exporting slices from Mesh Mixer to Rhino as obj's. Tried both "Stacked" and "Stacked 3d". Then use Rhino's mesh2NURB command, which were very effective on the slices, and export it as an Iges. Not a very practcal way because this takes forever. Probably depends on the size of your mesh and the software youre trying to import to. The mesh of this fuselage I is about 8,4m long 2,4m high 1,7m wide. With a cell size of 0.5mm containing 2.6 milion vertices. So I probably were pushing my luck. When I tried to convert the full body/obj Rhino kept on crashing. If you have rhino you could try a whole body. But in fact this doesnt give you Nurbs. Sort of an exact nurb replica of the mesh. See attachment. This small part took about 20minutes to load. Part 10 of 168. When the files started taking longer than 60 min I realised this aint practical.
Image Attachments:
Size: 2.6 MB, Downloaded: 47 times, Dimensions: 2116x3072px