Using revolved Loft for complex objects

Hi,

I thought to share a modeling approach with you that might come in handy, in case you didn't already use it.

I wanted to make a stereotypical cartoony bone in 3D using MoI, and tried a number of modeling tools in search of the ideal modeling method for this type of object.

First I created a 2D bone shape, using circles, tangent arcs, Boolean union and Rebuild to create a nice flowing curve without edge points:

Then I split the bone in two halves along the length, using Trim:

Extruded it, deleted the cap on one side, selected the two naked edges and performed a Blend:

As you can see, the result is quite nice, but the concave area in the middle of the outer ends profile is overlapped by the Blend.

So I tried a Revolve:

This gave a reasonably similar result, with the same problem — all symmetrical along the revolve, with no option to create a concave area along the way.

Next up was extruding the 2D curve and perfoming the maximum possible Fillet:

Looks nice, but you get these unwanted flat areas beyond the reach of the Fillet.

Let's try a traditional Loft approach, using a straight line-up of curves for half of the object (to be mirrored when done):

Getting closer, but the surface gets creases / discontinuities where the curve gets narrow. It would require a lot of curve-moving and curve point tweaking to get it right.

Then I tried a circular arrangement of the curves and Lofted that, using the Closed option to connect the first and last curve as well:

This finally gave me the control I was looking for, enabling me to adjust a part of the outer ends to create the concave part in the profile:

Hope this is useful to you too. I've attached the 3DM scene.

Alternative modeling method suggestions are of course very welcome, thanks in advance.

All the best,

Metin