MoI wishlist

6864.35 In reply to 6864.33 
Hi Robert,

> Sorry I wasn't more clear, I meant having the datum displayed on the screen with the lines
> and circles. Its like a HUD on a fighter jet - you want to keep your eyes on one thing, not
> going back and forth.

The problem is that those types of displays can easily turn from "Heads up" to more like "Greatly obscuring the actual model you're trying to see"...

It's a general point of emphasis with MoI's overall design to try and avoid popping things up in your face that might get in the way of you seeing your actual design, so having numeric inputs and readouts more often off to the side helps fit in with that more.

> Geomagic interoperability would be outstanding, pretty please?

Well, there is already interoperability using STEP (or IGES or SAT) file formats.

Could you maybe be more specific about what particular thing you'd be gaining by avoiding that route?

It tends to be difficult in general to support private application formats that are unique to just one specific application. MoI is used with a whole bunch of different programs, not just Alibre and it makes things easier for me to focus on a core set of neutral and widely supported file formats rather than separate ones for every different program.

So I'm sorry it's probably not very likely in the foreseeable future. Maybe at some point in the future I'll have an SDK set up for MoI where other programmers will be able to extend it with their own additional code, maybe then Alibre would be able to make use of that to implement what you're asking for here themselves. It will probably be a while yet before I will be able to focus on opening up an SDK for MoI though, it requires a lot of effort to support other developers.

- Michael