Real world project - Property conversion for my severely disabled wife WIP

This is a real world project, that will be a continuing work in progress for possibly another 3 to 4 years. Phase 1 has been completed and here i post the results. Sadly i had a HDD failure and so can not provide the 3DM concept drawings.

Stage1 was to provide easy access and to have an emergency exit. This was completed over a period of 18 months, it would have been quicker but for bad weather and a local council that did not want to pay for the amendments that the property needed. Their excuse was that the house we live in is described as a 'family home' and as such they would not do any modifications that would need to be removed or replaced after we are gone.

First part of phase 1 was the entrance ...

Second part was the emergency exit and decking area to the rear of the property. Dimensions from the local DIY store were obtained for the decking materials and they were drawn up to scale in MoI3d. You can find these files on GrabCAD here https://grabcad.com/library/wikes-garden-decking-kit. The original concept was to have toughened safety glass inserts, but sadly out of the five local glaziers i tried wanted to carry out the work because of the glass specifications and because of how everything would have to comply to safety standards and because they had not done the design or construction of the decking. We eventually found one that was willing to undertake the work, but he wanted me to provide the measurements of the glass. Baring in mind the glass was going cost over £800 with fitting bringing the total to £1100 and VAT to go on top of that too, there was no way I was willing to give the measurements incase I made mistake, and then it would need replacing and fitting again. So i took the decision to use balustrades instead and to have the work carried out by my Handy Man. Worked out a lot cheaper than expected.

Here's the French Doors being fitted ... The first part of the emergency exit

And the result of the decking and the doors and the emergency exit is complete. Please excuse the state of the decking as this winter has been a long and very wet winter with some frosts and it has lifted the stain preserver, so I guess it was not a very good preserver :P But it will get redone this year with something hopefully better. If it does not work again, then the decking boards will be removed and replaced with larch.

And finally, here's a shot of my wife today, waiting outside for breakfast, and the love of my life for whom I do all this for.

She always wanted a Japanese water garden, which as you can see has been started, which now brings us to Phase 2, the design of the Gazebo, which is where MoI will come into play again.

I hope you will follow and pass comments and make suggestions as this thread develops

Martin Spencer-Ford