double surfaces

6724.8 In reply to 6724.7 
Hi Ronald,

> What happened was that I deleted the double patches, saved the file, but after reloading they
> re-appeared. As if they are created during the saving or loading of the file.

I seem to remember now that there was a bug in v2 where this could happen, it had to do with certain kinds of malformed trim boundaries that could make it difficult to traverse connected faces which happens during saving and loading.

But that's been fixed for a long time in v3 though. V3 makes extra sure that each face is only exported once even in those cases.

If you've been using v2 mainly, I'd recommend using v3 instead and see if the problem doesn't occur anymore, you can get the current v3 beta from here: http://moi3d.com/beta.htm

I tried again to delete the doubled patches in your previous file and then saved and reloaded and I couldn't get any doubling behavior to happen.

> But maybe I should have used trims and projected network patches instead of booleans and
> a huge sphere. It creates better polygon exports as well I noticed.

Booleans with a large sphere would usually be the preferred way, but you'd probably get better final meshing behavior if you rotated the sphere around so that the "pole" spot on the sphere was not right in the middle of the final area that will be kept. If you rotated it so the poles were on the side that would keep the "seam edge" of the sphere to be out of the final object structure and so you wouldn't get polygons connecting to a pole point in your final mesh in that case.

- Michael