New Jun-12-2007 beta available now.

670.11 In reply to 670.4 
Hi Michael,

> On the ones I saw, I couldn't find anything wrong with the n-gon, it was well formed, points were spaced well without
> anything stacked up or reversed or anything.. Just the triangles for the n-gon display were coming outside the n-gon.

Actually, I've found this kind of problem, but I kind of expected something like this to happen with some complex n-gons.
The thing is, it's something very easy to fix. Using 'divide larger than' option in Moi, or just slice that polygon directly in
LW/modo.

> Because if you do see problems with the n-gon structure such as duplicate points within one polygon or n-gons with messy
> edges that cross over other edges, etc..., then those would be things I need to fix up in MoI. Otherwise if there is nothing
> wrong with the n-gon these look to me like triangulation bugs in LightWave. But so much fewer in number than with OBJ import.
> I guess they must have 2 totally separate pieces of triangulation code, otherwise I can't see how the LWO one would be mostly
> pretty good and the OBJ one so bad...

And here comes the problem. I've got messy edges in some n-gons as well. Actually the only way to fix it was remove those
n-gons and create them again in modo/LW. I'll send you some screen captures tomorrow, and I'll see if I can send you the
problematic object.

> Hmmm, this sounds like a bug. Normally it is intended that every different single joined object in MoI should go on its own
> separate layer in the LWO file. If you can send me the smallest .3dm example file you've got that has this problem, that
> might help me figure it out.

I'll get one of the objects that gave me that problem and I'll send it to you tomorrow as well.

> Was this with weld turned on or off? If weld is turned off then that's normal, but if weld is turned on it is supposed to merge
> those and that's probably a bug. If you have an example that needs merge vertices even though you exported with weld on,
> please send it if you can.

I've noticed that it was disabled by default (I guess for the LWO exporter... I didn't try the OBJ in the new beta), so I did another
test with that option enabled, and I still got unwelded vertices (they seemed not so many than before though).
And sure, I'll send you an example of this tomorrow!

> Thanks very much for the testing! I'm glad this is working better for you than the other ways of exporting before.

No problem! :) Thank you for the new beta.

Jacobo.