Nurbs render?

667.2 In reply to 667.1 
Yes, it is frustrating to say the least - stuff looks so good in MOI & Rhino but as you've mentioned, as soon as you export, there goes the object quality...

Granted Michael has done wonders with his poly exporter compared to Rhino - I was just looking at an old email from 2001 where I was upgrading my Rhino to v2 and I asking if there was a way to get "all quad exports from Rhino..."

Of course I know better now (wishing for an all quad export) but I agree, you'd think by now NURBS support would be better.

I've had varying success getting NURBS exports form MOI into XSI - usually all the surfaces are seperated leaving a bunch of open edges etc. A good portion of the time, nothing comes in at all...

I was interested in upgrading my Rhino v2 to v4 seeing all the improvements BUT even with all of that, if I can't get my models out, why throw away my money?

When I heard about MOI, it renewed my interest again in NURBS modeling.

The quandry is, Rhino has the power but MOI has the exporter! However I can't see myself buying v4 AND MOI just to import from Rhino to export out to my Poly apps!

To me, it's almost worth it to ask Michael to package up his exporter as a product for Rhino!

Not to take away from MOI's GUI breakthroughs, but at least it would open up a product to all the Rhino users (like me) that DO want to export cleanly into their "poly apps"...

If MOI is $200 I could see giving Michael $100 - $125 for a really comprehensive polygon exporter for Rhino - then I could get my v4 upgrade and get that exporter and be good to go...

Fortunately Michael seems to be focusing MOI in the direction of poly apps and the visual arts side of 3D where as Rhino is heavy with the machining / industrial field...

Evaluating Cinema 4D, I see it has a .3DM import type listed, but attempting even simple NURBS exports from MOI yeilds no joy so I'm not sure what's up with that!

Again, XSI does get some of the iges exports in but certainly not where I can depend on it in any kind of day to day workflow...

-Will