Slide curve along rail.

6638.2 In reply to 6638.1 
Hi David,

> I was looking at Tspline and they look really interersting. The way you modifiy
> your shape on the fly is great.
> I was wondering how you could achieve the same result in Moi or something similar.

Well Tsplines actually is basically a sub-d modeling toolset. The main difference is that they can do a conversion from sub-d surfaces into regular CAD NURBS surfaces at the end.

You can get the same kind of modeling tools in Tsplines in other sub-d modeling programs currently - basically if you want to work in a similar manner to tsplines you would want to do that work in a sub-d modeling program and not in MoI.

MoI is based on a very different kind of toolset than sub-d modeling, it's based on profile curve driven modeling.

It's not really feasible to try and do sub-d type modeling in MoI currently, the entire workflow and featureset and orientation of the entire system is just not set up for that. There are many other programs that already offer sub-d modeling, which is partly why MoI is focused on different things that that.

As far as sliding a curve, I'm not 100% sure if I understand what you want to do, but it is possible to extract structural curves from an existing surface using the Construct > Curve > Iso command (new in v3) which allows you to extract out lines of the underlying UV space 2D grid as independent curves. If you do it on a revolve it will extract out sections of the revolve basically.

- Michael